January 17, 2011

The xx - Islands



When I was a young girl, I took dance lessons. Tap was always my favourite because you have to work with and create the rhythm.
This video immediately reminded me of all of the dance routines I did as a child. Every movement of the body had to be exact so that we could do the same routine over and over and over again and it would always be the same.
I still love to dance - I still love most the beat in music - but it's been quite a long time since I did routine. I would have to say high school, and that routine was for a drama performance.
Needless to say, I miss both art forms: dance and theatre.
I had a conversation about art that I mentioned in my other blog last night. All day yesterday, after the conversation the night before, I kept thinking about the forms of art that I enjoy. There's literature, which was my first - and will therefore be my forever - love. Then, theatre: I will always be melodramatic, if not a drama queen ;-). Third is music, although it consumes so much of my life right now. It is an educational journey that I am on right now. For now, I am a mere spectator, but maybe one day (and generally after an alcoholic beverage...or even just at home, alone...) I'll go back to dance as a creative expression as well...

One of my best friends told me about this band. We met when we were both lonely and craving friends our age (working with children has a way of bringing that out in young adults). Our situation forced us to be friends, but the similarities that we shared then, and even today, is what makes our friendship so strong.

Anyways, about the band:

They've been together for over five years now, forming in 2005, while studying together in London, England. The fourth (and now missing) member of the original group left in 2009, the same year they released their self-titled debut album. Despite the departure, the band has received quite a lot of attention via television. If you watch Grey's Anatomy, you might possibly recognize this song. Other songs of theirs have been featured 90210, Mercy, Cold Case, Lie To Me, Waterloo Road, NBC's broadcast of the 2010 Olympics and even an AT&T commercial featuring Apolo Ohno. What publicity, eh?

Personally, they remind me of Skins, which is brilliant! I haven't seen enough episodes of that show, but I loved catching it on tv while living in the UK. Have The xx played on there? Is that show still on the air? If so, they should get together...and then somebody oughta let me know about it! I love it when things I love get together...so, yeah, pretty stoked that they're on Waterloo Road, at the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment