January 24, 2011

Martha Wainwright ~ You Cheated Me AND Jeremy Fisher ~ Goodbye Blue Monday


Martha's been on my mind for a few days now... Today, this was the first song I could settle on for my walk to work . I think it's her mother calling out to me, just a little bit...it's been a week and a year since her death, and so I'd like to give Kate McGarrigle some credit for today's selection. She is the reason we can claim Miss Wainwright here as our Canadian girl!

Martha began her musical career singing with her mother, appearing on the The McGarrigle Hour album with her mother and aunt, Anna McGarrigle in 1998. Then came her singing backup to brother Rufus Wainwright for a year or two before releasing her own six-song EP, Martha Wainwright.

This Montreal-born and -raised artist then fled to New York. Although she studied drama at Concordia in her home city, she made a name for herself as a singer and songwriter south of the border, and carried that fame back "home" to Canada. (Yes, sadly, because of her American folk-singer father, Loudon Wainwright III, we must share her with our American cousins...but that's okay. There's enough talent in that family to easily split our pride!)

This is a fairly melancholic song of Martha's and I did have to change it before it finished playing this morning.  I'm supposed to be stopping with the melancholy this week.  That is my goal!  So, I came across Jeremy Fisher's Blue Monday - now THAT's not a melancholic song either ;-)



I'll let you be the judge of which is sadder...

No comments:

Post a Comment