December 17, 2010

Video From Day Fourteen: R.E.M. ~ Shiny Happy People



Day Fourteen: You should learn at least one new thing each day. This is why I love cbc. Today, they taught me about civil unrest, fear, the gov't trying to cover it all up, and REM's artistic expression of this oppression. Thank you, art! Where would our society be without the freedom to listen to this song first thing in the morning?

Link to original post (video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQ0vDAbF7s&feature=related

Update:I love the internet. You can find out the most interesting things here...tonight, specifically, I'm calling upon wikipedia to learn more about this nineties band that I have previously featured in the first fifty days. I learned numerous new things with a quick look there. Here's the top five:
5) This song was recorded on my sister's tenth birthday.
4) This song was performed on Sesame Street, as "Furry Happy Monsters."
3) This song was the original choice for the Friends theme song, but they went with "I'll Be There For You" instead.
2) The backing vocals are by Kate Pierson of the B-52's, who is also in this music video. (I thought it sounded familiar...)
1) There is no mention whatsoever of this song's relation to civil unrest...which make me scratch my head trying to remember what the name of that Square that the massacre happened in that CBC said this song was inspired by... Well, I guess, I didn't need the internet to teach me that my memory is fading - I already knew that!

Enjoy this extra nineties video today!

No comments:

Post a Comment