December 18, 2010

Day 93: Alanis Morissette ~ Head Over Feet



For everybody who ever needs a Jagged Little Pill, there is Alanis Morisette...

Who would've thought this squeaky clean girl from Ottawa would become the symbol of female romantic angst in the nineties? Well, history likes to repeat itself...look at the next decade's version of Alanis, Avril Lavigne... Why are some of the most famous Canadian female artists so full of rage?

This song, though, is a love song...

I've been asked to sing a few times in my life. The people who ask are not people who have ever heard my aty karaoke night. Of course, after a pitcher or two of bravery, who doesn't sound terrible? I always find myself singing along to any song on the Jagged Little Pill album. Somehow, my voice is able to wrap itself around the lyrics coming out of Alanis' mouth much more easily than most other artist's lyrics. Does this mean I'm filled with romantic angst? Or is it merely my voice...

Earlier, I posted the video to her angrier songs - You Oughta Know, Ironic, etc. - but fate would have it that those songs could not be displayed on my blog. I think that was a good choice. Alanis does get seen as a very angry woman, but this song is anything but that. Listening to it again this evening, I have a deeper appreciation for it. She's done the break-up songs so well, but she can sing about falling in love at a decent level, too.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment