December 13, 2010

The Breaking Heart: Regina Spektor ~ Fidelity



This video is truly incredible and worth watching. If the video isn't working here, go here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wigqKfLWjvM

Our heart (the metaphorical one rather than the physical one) is the most precious thing we will ever break...

Once broken, we understand just how precious it is, and we protect it that much more. Sometimes, though, we won't even let it get broken...

A coworker described it this way to me this week: I have this heart, surrounded by a layer of ice. Around that ice is a brick wall. And that brick wall is covered with titanium ... so it'll take a lot for anybody to get through that.

Following the same metaphor, I'd say I unlocked my titanium casing this spring, which is the best thing I've done all year. The brick wall has come down too...and the ice began to melt... It's okay, though, because I learned a lot about myself through the whole process. And, as I was working on building up that brick wall, I decided to stop. It's okay, right? If you keep your heart on ice, you'll still be safe...

I think many people have gone through this song. Many others hope to one day go through this song. And there is even more people who are living in the black and white world and still having fun. One day, maybe, we'll allow the colour back in...but we have to appreciate the gray scale first.

No comments:

Post a Comment