November 22, 2010

The Video From Day 21: Johnny Reid - Today I'm Gonna Try To Change The World



Although today is Day 67, the video from day 21 was never included on the blog, so I’ve decided to do so. As a friend of mine told me as she handed over yet another ‘self improvement’ book, “sometimes you just need to be reminded of the same thing over and over again.”
She is correct. I’m having an excellent last half to November, but I won’t deny that it’s often tough to go out on a limb and try something a little bit different. This same friend’s word of advice came to me on my most difficult day last week, though, and they really helped. Last month, she listened to my fears of quitting my day job and letting myself be guided more by the universe, and offered me up these pearls of wisdom: “talent is not always the difference between those artists who make it and the ones who don’t.” She’s so smart!
I was thinking about that today, as I replayed words I’ve heard from loved ones. “I just don’t want you to always take the difficult path.” Luckily, I never took that advice...
Yes, taking the path less travelled is more difficult than the more predictable one, but challenges are much more rewarding than an hourly wage...or salary and benefits. It’s tough now, but I now it will be worth it. And not even tomorrow, or next month. It’s gonna be tough for the next several years... but it will always be worth it...
As I begin to fret about the difficulties, I am also reminded of some of the rewards. For example:
I’ve been a vegetarian for seven years, now, and baked vegan for all seven years. This has often required alterations to many of our family’s favourite recipes. At first, my family, retired farmers, took it as a personal hit against our heritage that I would give up eating animals. Slowly, we have come to an understanding about this path that I have chosen to take, and shown enormous growth on both sides of the issue. This summer, my oldest sister (who had taken up cake decorating in the last couple of years) began looking up recipes for vegan cakes on the internet. It’s a small step, yes, but it means a lot to me. It means I may, in fact, one day change the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment