November 24, 2010

Born to Hum by Erin McKeown



Five years ago, I was working at Chapters on Broadway and Granville. Oh...good ol' 789... One of the perks - aside from meeting so many awesome people and expanding my edumusicaton - was that I took home a few comp cds. One of those cds featured Erin McKeown. I fell in love! I logged into iTunes, bought her latest cd...and then lost those songs on a computer somewhere.

Towards the middle of June 2010, I began to think of this song. I hadn't heard it in years. And hadn't thought of her since I first heard Hannah Georgas. I asked my music friends if they knew her...none of them did! You know, that song, and I would hum a bit of it for them...even sing the opening line. Still, nobody knew who I was talking about. (Hannah didn't even know who this fine lady was. This shocked me, 'cause at the time I was still pretty sure Erin was from the Vancouver scene. She couldn't have disappeared from the scene in less than five years!?!)

Well, thank god for the internet! I discovered that Erin McKeown was not in fact Canadian (although, I would give her an honorary maple leaf if given the opportunity to meet her), but she's still pretty rad.

Tonight, I heard her from the source of our acquaintance: Chapters. No, not good ol' 789, but the one on Whyte. It just came on, just like that, and I had to smile inside. So, here's a favourite song of mine that I didn't chose to hear today, but did.

Check out her website: www.erinmckeown.com

Ah, and yes, I apologise for the live version...although, this one is not terribly bad. The video on YouTube with the recorded version was not applicable to my interpretation of the song....tisk, tisk, tisk....

No comments:

Post a Comment